Saturday, April 21, 2007

Waiting for Tiwai... Esperando por Tiwai...

So yeah, I am now on hold from any more travelling, for the legends of stomach problems that I thought I´d never get, finally caught up to me. So after several days of bed-time trying to rest the fever and weakness off, Ive come to check my mail and post something short so you all know Im alive and well (and drinking more water per day than any normal human being Ive ever seen).

Oi gente! Fiz uma pausa em matéria de viagem, pois a lenda dos problemas estomacais que este lado do mundo pode trazer finalmente me pegou... Estou de cama há alguns dias tentando descansar pra esperar a febre e as dores passarem, mas hoje melhorei e vim checar meu email e escrever alguma coisa pra vocês saberem que estou viva e bem (e bebendo mais água por dia do que qualquer pessoa normal consegue)

The first one is from a sweet forward I got... the smiling goat. I thought it was sweet, and every time I see it makes me smile, so I figure maybe it will make some of you smile too.

Esta primeira foto é de um email que alguem mandou... alguem já viu uma cabra sorrindo? Achei o máximo, e cada vez que vejo essa foto abro aquele sorriso...entao achei que talvez faria vocês sorrirem tambem.


The second is Survivor. He lives in the EFA compound and is the most loving and love-craving puppy Ive ever seen. Have you ever seen a dog welcome you with a hug? If you hold him in your arms he will spread like a baby and just thankfully lick your hand... sweet. We are trying to take care of him, feed him milk and have him grow to be a strong dog. (his brothers all died, which is why he's called Survivor).

Esta outra foto é de Survivor (significa "aquele que sobreviveu"). Ele mora na casa onde eu estou e é o cachorrinho mais doce e precisando de carinho que eu já vi. Onde ja se viu um cachorrinho dar as boas vindas com um abraço? Se você pegar ele no colo ele se derrete todo e abre as patas que nem um neném, e lambe a sua mao em agradecimento... Ele sobreviveu aos irmaos dele, entao estamos tentando alimenta-lo com leite (aqui estavam dando carne e arroz pra um cachorro de poucas semanas!), pra ele crescer e ser um belo cão...


Here you have two pictures of Tiwai... The first one is of where I will be living , the research center. There are two german biologists there studying the communication behaviour of primates on the island, so I will have some european company...
Aqui vão duas fotos de Tiwai... A primeira é da casa onde vou morar lá, no centro de pesquisa. Lá tem duas biologas alemãs estudando a comunicação e comportamento dos macacos da ilha...então vou ter companhia europeia...




I will not be travelling to Tiwai tomorrow, for Im not well enough for that yet. News will come to you as soon as I know when and how I´ll be going.

Nao vou pra Tiwai amanha pois nao estou bem o suficiente pra isso ainda. Vou mandar noticias quando souber quando e como vou...


This last picture is of Thiangue, a pretty little girl I found on the way and that I never took the time to blog about because I felt she deserved one day all for herself. But I think this will do to get the message across. We were waiting in the car for the primitive ferry-boat to cross to pick us up, when I saw Thiange taking care of her little sister, of one or two years, and called her to come hang out with me. She of course didnt understand a word of what I said, nor did I understand the little she spoke, but she enjoyed seeing her own image in my camera and just staring at me, watching me watch and smile back at her... The ferry arrived to pick us up and she ran after, following us, and later while crossing I saw her by the banks of the river waving bye. I found the girl just enchanting, and imagined what would become of her in 10 or 15 years... I will hopefully and probably still be alive, growing, learning, travelling, seeing the world, working, maybe even learning another language... And Thiange?

E esta ultima é Thiange, uma menina linda que encontrei no caminho e cuja foto nunca tive tempo de postar ou escrever a respeito como ela merecia. Mas acho que com isto vai dar pra entender a mensagem. Estávamos no carro esperando a balsa pra cruzar um rio, uma espécie de ferry-boat primitivo, quando vi Thiange cuidando da irmãzinha dela, de um ou dois aninhos, e a chamei pra vir conversar comigo. É claro que ela não entendia nada do que eu falava nem eu a ela, mas ela gostou de ver sua imagem na minha máquina fotográfica e simplesmente me observar e olhar como eu a observava e sorria... O ferry boat chegou e eu falei chau. Ela saiu correndo pra seguir a gente e depois quando estavamos cruzando ficou lá na beira do rio dando-nos "chau, chau". Achei a menina um charme e imaginei o que será dela daqui a 10 ou 15 anos... Eu vou estar, se Deus quiser e provavelmente, viva, crescendo, aprendendo, viajando, vendo o mundo, trabalhando, talvez aprendendo outro idioma... E ela?

1 comment:

Sandrinha, Sandroca, Sandruca said...

Hi Giovi!
I know life can be difficult, very difficult! Specially for some people, some countries, some animals... Just don´t forget that all this has a meaning, even when we don´t understand it. There is someone in charge of all this, as in the T-shirt. Do not, ever, forget that! Do not forget to thank God for the life you have, and for the difficulties that sometimes you have to face... They make you grow stronger! And never, never, stop being the way you are: like that candle, that gives light to another candle, while preserving its own light! Whatever the question is, love is the answer, isn´t it? I am glad for what you are learning there, I am glad for what you are teaching me!
Love you! Much love!
Sandra